externships what is an externship?
most careers require some level of hands-on experience to be successful. whether you’re studying to be a dental assistant, medical assistant, medical coder or pharmacy technician, you will build expertise in your field of study by participating in an externship program. an externship is a temporary training program in a workplace, usually offered to students as part of a program or course.
professionals in your chosen field offer hands-on experience to students looking to begin their new careers through externship opportunities. do you see yourself working in a doctor’s office? maybe the option of working in a hospital pharmacy appeals to you more. whatever you choose, the externship allows you to apply the knowledge and skills you learned in the classroom in a real-world work environment.
benefits of an externship:
- real-world work experience under the supervision of a professional
- exposure to a real-world work environment in your chosen career field
- allows you to practice your professional behavior
- opportunity to receive mentorship and advice
- networking with professionals, mentors and colleagues
externship opportunities bring you closer to the start of a new career, a new life and a new you!